Kilallan Kirk Preservation Trust
ilallan Kirk Preservation Trust is a registered Scottish Charity set up to preserve the structure of Kilallan Kirk between Houston and Kilmacolm.
Pre-Reformation the church was dedicated to St Fillan (Fillan of Cluain Moesca in Meath, Ireland). The origins of the church may date back to the 10th or 11th century AD, when incoming Gaels introduced the cult to the area. This was one of the churches gifted to Paisley Abbey by Walter the High Steward in 1169. The church was last in full time use in 1771 (Kilallan parish having been united with Houston in 1760) although the graveyard surrounding the church was still in use as late as 1856.
A Scheduled Ancient Monument, the roofless building is of national importance as it represents an example of the continuous development of a medieval parish church and churchyard up to the 18th century. Its importance is enhanced by its potential to contribute to an understanding of medieval ecclesiastical architecture.
The property was gifted to the Trust by Elderslie Estates in 2005.